The President's Role in College Athletics With Washington State's Dr. Kirk Schulz
Guest Kirk Schulz, Washington State; Bryan Blair, Washington State
41:34 min watch
Washington State University President Dr. Kirk Schulz sits down with Cougars Deputy Director of Athletics/Chief Operating Officer Bryan Blair for AthleticDirectorU to discuss the role college athletics plays in higher education’s mission, traits of successful athletic directors and administrators, what makes a good conference commissioner and much more.
The conversation is indexed below for efficient viewing (click the time stamp to jump to a specific question/topic).
- - Why has the land grant model worked for you throughout your career?
- - How has your background as a chemical engineer helped you in your leadership?
- - What are your thoughts on the role athletics plays in executing the academic mission of a higher education institution?
- - How do you empower the people you have hired to be leaders in their respective areas?
- - What are some of the core traits of a good athletics director?
- - What are some of the core traits you have seen in successful upcoming athletic administrators?
- - If there is a formula for success, what would you include in it?
- - Why do you find it necessary to be involved with college athletics on a national level?
- - What makes a good conference commissioner?