Athletic Directors, Sherryta Freeman of Lafayette and Martin Newton of Samford, join Zach Maurides, Founder and CEO of Teamworks, for a conversation centered on leveraging skills developed as a former athlete in their current roles leading an entire athletic department. Freeman and Newton discuss how they channel their competitive nature, advice they give to administrators who didn’t play college sports, and advice to student-athletes who want to work in the business.
From The Court To The Athletic Director’s Office: Lafayette’s Freeman & Samford’s Newton
Guest Sherryta Freeman, Lafayette College; Martin Newton, Samford University; Zach Maurides, Teamworks
26:21 min watch
- - Provide some details on your journey to athletics administration and your purpose for being in the profession
- - What are some experiences as a Student-Athlete that you’ve put to use in your current role?
- - How do you channel the energy of competition while no longer directly competiting on the fields and courts of play?
- - What are some current challenges that weren’t around when you were a Student-Athlete? How do you help student-athletes navigate those challenges? (Freeman)
- - What is your advice to someone who works in the industry, but was not a Student-Athlete on how to understand the experience of Student-Athletes?
- - What are some current challenges that weren’t around when you were a Student-Athlete? How do you help student-athletes navigate those challenges? (Newton)
- - What advice do you give Student-Athletes who believe they want to be an Athletics Director in the future? (Newton)
- - What do you do to stay in touch with your passion for athletics and leadership?
- - What is an example of how you are intentional with how you spend and/or schedule your time?
- - What advice do you give Student-Athletes who believe they want to be an Athletics Director in the future? (Freeman)